Monday, May 2, 2011

Grad interview with Julie White



We caught up with talented fashion design graduate Julie White.

What do you do?

I am an independent fashion designer who lives in Adelaide. I love to draw and make beautiful things to wear.

Your path in fashion was set when...
I have been making things since I was young, a path in fashion made sense to me when making things wearable was something I really enjoyed doing, especially being in an industry that's so diverse. I love creating clothing, I see clothing as a powerful tool that can be used to express how you see yourself and how you want to be seen.




Describe your label in five words.
bold, fun, graphic, decorative, imaginative.

Tell us about your favourite garment that you have created from scratch.
I'm pretty excited about a printed dress I am currently working on. It features a hand-drawn print that frames the female neckline. The process began with drawing directly onto a toile while wearing it, scribbling bold shapes and textures with black marker. I've spent just as long developing the design as I have on some of my couture pieces, only it's more accessible!

Top trends at the moment. What is inspired you?
Prints! I love the way people are mixing vintage prints with new ones and it's great seeing people experiment more with colour and print combination. Also, people seem to be thinking about the placement of prints not just on the front of a top, but on the back or down a pair of legs!

One piece in your wardrobe you can’t live without.
A beaded, black silk bolero with ornamental edging and massive shoulder pads! I found it in a vintage shop in Berlin and I've only worn it once.



Favourite shop (online or retail), label and blog.
Shop: Including anywhere in the world, Liberty in London! I love all their carefully selected labels picked from around the globe. You can find a lot of inspiration from labels doing some really interesting things with technology, right there in the flesh.

Label:
I'm not really influenced by one, but a few at the moment include: Neurotica, Ashish, Bebaroque, Romance Was Born, Karen Walker, Cybele and Eley Kishimoto.

Blog:
The Worn Journal Blog - I've been enjoying this lately and its very down to earth!

What did you love about studying at TAFE?
Being around creative friends, as well as the good support and technical advice from lecturers on hand while you push-on!


Where can people find out more about your label fashion?
www.juliewhite.com.au
www.notjustalabel.com/juliewhite
www.the-bobbin.blogspot.com
www.workshoponhindley.blogspot.com
You can also find me at the Work Shop at 151 Hindley Street. At the moment I'm there every Monday.

Interested in studying fashion? Find out more at Fashion at TAFE SA.

No comments:

Post a Comment