Monday, November 15, 2010

50s fashion with Miss Meg

We chatted with the lovely Meg about her 50s inspired label Miss Meg, all things fashion and being awarded the photography prize with George Philippo Photography.


Why do you love fashion?

A quote I found, that I love and best describes me, which I have carried around with me for the past 3 years..."Sewing fills my days, not to mention the living room, bedroom and closets". Fashion is my drive. Fashion is what gets me up every morning. Choosing an outfit for the day, it makes you feel good about yourself. It gives a person a way to express themselves without having to say how they’re feeling. I have always been quite good at art, so drawing designs comes naturally to me. The best feeling is knowing you’ve been able to transform a drawing on a piece of paper to a beautiful garment, and then worn as a piece of art. My “Miss Meg” label is conservative, but with an edge. It embraces a woman’s curves by being sexy and slim fitting, while still being conventional. Having a 50s edge gives the clothing a unique sense of style in a way that will make any woman feel confident and stand out from the crowd.

Plans for Adelaide, Australia and/or beyond?
At the moment I'd like to stay in Adelaide and eventually sell interstate as my label grows, but Australia is where I want to be. I believe in Australian-made garments, so I have no plans of off-shore manufacturing in future. I dream of seeing myself in places like Milan, but for now, little Australia is my home. I plan of selling online and in boutiques and possibly developing my own store in future. In the meantime I have work experience lined up with Joy Taylor, designer behind Hot Couture, where I feel I can learn a lot from the way she runs her business and communicates with clients.


What was the highlight of the course?
Well of course I’m going to say the End of Year Parade!! The past couple of months have been very hectic, but to finally see all your work completed and on show for everyone to see, you feel proud and a sense of accomplishment. I can’t believe those three years have just flown by, it seemed only yesterday that I applied for Fashion Design. This year’s graduates were a fantastic group, so many unique students with their own sense of style and presence. The fashion course is getting better and better every year as they develop new concepts. It is most definitely a course to consider.


Advice to future fashion designers on pursuing this career?
Hang in there and always put in 110% on everything you do. If fashion is your life, then three years of study is nothing compared to what you’re going to achieve when you’ve completed. Seeing your collection on the runway is a feeling not many people get to experience, having your garments oooh’d and aaah’d over is great feeling. Always be organised and prepare to take criticism, as that is what will help you grow as a designer.

On winning the photography prize.
Once I have completely finished with TAFE SA after the next two weeks I will be getting in contact with George Philippo again and arrange a time for the shoot. I met him the night of the parade and he seems like a friendly guy, so I am looking forward to our collaboration together. I am so excited! Having a professional shoot will help showcase my range to potential customers and will be great to show in my portfolio. A great start in getting my name out there!


Style muse/inspiration.
My inspiration behind my contemporary 1950s label is the beautiful Christina Aguilera. I absolutely adore her in her music video 'Candy Man'. I love the sexiness and edginess the young women had in the 50s. Since the 50s, which Vogue called 'the formative years of the century' - fashion has never really been the same. Mass production, the introduction of synthetic fabrics and the comparative wealth of the late fifties enabled the average British woman to be one of the best dressed women in the world. The young continued to demand clothes to suit a teenage market. The silhouettes of the garments, the hair, the shoes! What an amazing era to live in - so why not bring it all back?

To find out more about Meg’s designs head to Megan Leigh Designs or Miss Meg for her 50s inspired fashion label.

No comments:

Post a Comment