Friday, November 26, 2010

Intergalactica with Hannah Buchanan

We chatted with grad Hannah about her Intergalactica collection and her plans for 2011.



First thought when you saw your collection on the catwalk?

Relief! I was so tense through the parade leading up to the moment when my outfits were on stage. It wasn't until all my garments had been shown that I was able to breathe again! I kept having thoughts that something would fall apart or come out wrong, but everything was fine. It was so exhilarating to see the last six months of my life up on a catwalk for everyone to see and have my family and friends there watching. After the parade it was such a strange feeling, I think everyone felt a bit lost and wasn't sure what to do, producing our collections had completely consumed our lives. It also meant that the last three years of study was over and we were ready to go onto our next adventures, which is a bit daunting.


Why do you love fashion?
I can’t imagine myself doing anything but fashion. It excites me. I think I’m lucky to be in a field that doesn’t feel like work and I can look forward to it every day. To me fashion is like a fairytale. That’s the only way I can describe the overwhelming feeling when I see a designer’s collection that is so outrageous and fascinating, it doesn’t seem real. To wear something that makes you feel fabulous can completely change your mood and confidence, it can be really empowering.

What plans are in the pipeline for 2011?
Next year, I hope to gain employment within the Adelaide fashion industry. I will have my own creative outlet through selling my designs at the Gilles St Market, North Adelaide Market, or online in my own time.

Style muse?
To be honest I don't a have any one person who is my style muse. When I design clothes, I get inspired by designers who continually push boundaries and have original, extraordinary designs. Viktor and Rolf are amazing at this; each collection is bigger and better than the previous, and they always surprise. They give me something to strive for. When I’m designing I always look back and question if my ideas are different and unusual. I guess ultimately I design things that I'd love to wear, not necessarily realistically or in everyday life, but imagining what I’d wear if I was...


Like what you see, contact Hannah on hannahbuchanan@live.com.au and we’ll keep you posted on her 2011 online venture!

No comments:

Post a Comment