Friday, November 12, 2010

Alexandra Ireland - Glam Adelaide prize winner

We caught up with Ally who was awarded the highly commended fashion student prize on Saturday night. Next year, thanks to our sponsor Glam Adelaide, Ally will be fashion blogger on their website which is a great launching pad for her label Necia.


Why fashion?

I believe fashion to be an expression of ones personality and style. I love the thought of my clothes bringing out a confidence and unique personal style in a woman. After studying Visual Arts experimenting with all kinds of artistic subjects like photography, jewellery, sketching, painting, sculpture and more, I developed an interest in the subject of textiles, and from there went on to find my true love of fashion.

Inspiration for your collection?
My graduate collection was inspired by late fashion and style icon Isabella Blow. Her tragic yet inspiring life got my creative design juices flowing to create an evening wear collection with a mysterious and quirky twist. Her outrageous and larger than life personality masked an inner pain. I have used sheer fabrics to symbolise failed attempt to mask her inner pain, she was still transparent to those around her. My collection portrays the tragic aspects of this style icon’s life and how she hid them behind an emotional mask.


What was the highlight of your course?
The highlight of my course would be a combination of the inspirational people I have met and studied alongside for three years, and of course our graduate parade!

Your reaction to winning the 2010 TAFE SA Fashion Design Student Highly Commended award.
When I was announced the winner of the highly commended award I was absolutely delighted! It was an emotional and extremely satisfying feeling to know that my hard work and determination had paid off. I am extremely grateful to Glam Adelaide for giving me this incredible blog and advertising package.

Plans for Adelaide, Australia and/or beyond?
I plan to set up my own label Necia in Adelaide and make a name for myself here, stocking my clothes in boutiques as well as setting up Necia Boutiques around Australia. Entering the international market is a really long term goal that I would love to explore once my business has been successful in Australia.

Advice to future fashion designers on pursuing this career?
Work really hard! You need to be prepared to put in 110%. It is not an easy industry to get into, and can sometimes be more about who you know than what you know, but determination and perseverance will be the key to being successful.


Style muse.
As a designer I am inspired by obscure and beautiful things. I like to design outside the box, and keep a unique twist on the modern day confident woman. I like working with structure and enhancing a woman’s body shape. My clothes are designed to make a woman feel confident and sexy with a unique twist. Relaxed but dressy, feminine but with an edge.

To find out more about Ally's label Necia visit her facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment