Thursday, November 18, 2010

Lingerie designer Lani De Beer

We had a tête-à-tête with Lecturers Choice winner Lani on her love of designing lingerie and dream to design for Victoria's Secret!


Why do you love fashion?

Fashion to me is way of expressing yourself. To me the most important part of my wardrobe is my Lingerie and the shoes to match! I love the way it makes you feel. Sexy, confident, sweet, seductive and ready to take on anything that comes your way! Lingerie is your foundation, your base - whether you wear it just as under wear or if you decide to show a little peek through your outfit. I love in current trends wearing your lingerie as outerwear and how lingerie inspires new beautiful fashion.

Plans for Adelaide, Australia and/or beyond?
Now that I've graduated, I'm ready to take on the world. I am aiming to relocate to Sydney in February next year, where I hopefully will be picked up by a Lingerie company. It would be a great experience to work for established company and learn and learn as much as my brain will allow. I want to go to Europe and check out all the little boutiques, then to America where I would love to work with Victoria’s Secret. In the years to come I would like to start up my own lingerie label and create timeless fantasy pieces with classy style and perfect fit.


What was the highlight of your course?
I can't believe that three years have gone! But with highlights like the SAJC spring race carnival where the whole class designed and constructed two outfits each that were displayed in our very first parade! My first outfit was an ivory satin and lace knee length dress inspired by a lady, who was very sophisticated and proper. My second outfit was a black satin and purple lace, skirt and bodice combo inspired by a punk princess. Our class did a project runway type assignment at the beginning of the year where we designed and constructed for most of us our first swimmers in two weeks. The garments were then displayed in an exhibition along side Jets, Zimmerman and Seafolly. My swimmers were a 1950s sailor inspired one piece. And of course the biggest highlight of all was our graduating night where we showcased six outfits each in a showstopping parade part of the Adelaide Fashion Festival. My lingerie collection Garden Affair was inspired by a Victorian lady sitting in a spring blossoming spring garden, eating delicate delights awaiting her lover.


On winning the Lecturers Choice Award.
On my graduation I was extremely excited to find out that I had won the 2010 Lecturers Choice Award! I had no idea until they announced my name on stage! I won a trip to Melbourne to do a five day pattern making course with Gerber. I think that this is a great opportunity that I'm grateful for. I think the knowledge will definitely contribute to me going further in my career - which I can't wait to start.

Advice to future fashion designers on pursuing this career?
If I had any advice to give to any future fashion designers, it would be don't settle for second best. If you have an idea make it work, experiment, and try new things. Think outside the box and be open minded to constructive criticism, while staying true to you. Take every opportunity to learn and grow - there is so much to take in. And when you see your vision up there for the whole world to see you know that all those long hours and hard work have definitely paid off :)

Style muse/inspiration.
When it comes to being inspired I always have my key inspirations wallpaper, chandeliers, crockery, and anything vintage. I love the 1950s pin up girl who is sweet yet submissive. I think the old Hollywood glamour of the 1930s is classic and elegant. I'm very passionate about dance and the theatre too, the costumes and the fantasy they create. We can't forget the Victorian period which my current collection Garden Affair was strongly influenced by. I take these key inspirations and infuse them with everything else that inspires me including current trends, something I might see on a walk in the park, down the beach or in a movie. I try to utilise all my resources and let my imagination run away.

To find out more about Lani's designs head to her facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment